Sunday, March 8, 2009

Specializing Our Time


One of my favorite pastimes is painting. I have noticed that my best works have been the product of focus and purpose of the selected colors individually and separately. When I tried to mix too many colors together, a drab gray would result. Too many times I would have to throw away the entire batch of paint because of a horrible homogenization.

In connection with the Lord’s counsel to “seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom” (D&C 88:118), I have tried to embrace the teachings of Adam Smith’s revolutionary book, A Wealth of Nations. Just like painting, Smith taught that people, communities, or even nations should focus on a task (a paint color): specialize. As each person correctly specializes in a specific product, service, or activity (paint color), the individuals and community as a whole (the entire painting) is far better off than without specializing. In interest of your and my time, I will avoid delving into the mathematical “economiracle” that proves this theory. For that evidence I will appeal to Smith’s A Wealth of Nations.

Too often we find ourselves running around like a chicken with our heads cut off. Why; because we try to accomplish too many different things at the same time. Let me explain. How many times do you sit down on the couch trying to finish your homework while your friends are chatting about you? Amidst the half-hearted effort to stay focused, your friends begin IMing you on both Facebook and Gmail. To add to the cacophony, your roommates begin a conversation with you. Does this sound familiar at all? And do you get anything accomplished during those times?

I would guess that most of us desire better time management skills. I believe Smith's principle of specializing can solve this prevalent dilemma.How? It’s simple. If you're a student, ask yourself which hours you can most effectively study. Naturally you should exclusively focus on studying during those hours. Then split up the time you spend with friends, the time you use emailing people, and anything else on your plate. If we avoid mixing our activities and instead segregate our endeavors, we will be able to be more effective and efficient in all of our pursuits. A wise man once told me, "Give 100% to whatever you are doing during the day." I think these principles of Smith can help us find more piece and success in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment