Thursday, November 25, 2010

Back In The "Swing" of Things

When I was about 13, my older brother Jaron taught me about the basics of swing dancing. I would watch in amazement as he lifted, twirled, spun, and whirled a young woman while miraculously earning a smile on her face. I decided that I wanted to become good at dancing someday. I don’t pretend that ballroom dancing has been my greatest passion in life but it has been one of my favorite hobbies when time permits.

This year at school I joined the ballroom dance club and have absolutely loved getting back into the “swing” of things. It’s a great break from the studies for me. I’ve been able to meet some of the kindest, driven, down-to-earth folks through the club.

This last month we had our first competition. It was held at the University of Maryland, just above D.C. I had a partner for Standard and for Rhythm. I was very humbled at the competition : ) Waltz, Cha Cha, and Swing (all of which I’ve known and performed for years) didn’t yield callbacks. Haha. But, somehow we got fourth place in both Rumba and Mambo and got callbacks in Quickstep, all of which I had just learned this year. Lesson: performance is often best when you have an I-have-nothing-to-lose attitude and just do your best.

What a fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment