Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Life Is Beautiful

This morning, as I ran out the door, I was greeted with the sharp bites of cold attacking every ounce of me in the 9-degree weather. Walking quickly seemed to make things worse as the bitter breeze sped up as well, mocking me in my valiant effort to get warm. I was cold. While walking was juggling thoughts of the day's demands and recounting a challenging experience I had just experienced the day before.

Sulking in pathetic misery I didn't even notice the beautiful sunrise chisel the silhouette of the majestic Rocky Mountains before me. I did not pay attention to the warm smiles of people passing me. In short, within this vacuum of self pity, I shunned any positive perspective of life.

Yet, the day got warmer and I cleared my hurdles one by one. I went to class and performed very well on the assignments issued. I enjoyed a productive meeting with my study group and attended an inspiring lecture. I eventually felt good about everything. In retrospect, I was blessed to appreciate the beauties and blessings of the day juxtaposed to my earlier trials.

Though this is somewhat trite I think it illustrates a major principle in our lives. We forget reality way too often. True, life brings us bitter cold valleys but only on the path to bluffs of ecstasy. I believe in the words of the Savior as he said, “For after much tribulation come the blessings” (D&C 58:2–4).

The momentary inconveniences of life only heighten our conveniences, the pains develop the joys, the fears buttress the faith, the losses make the gains vibrant. Indeed, life is beautiful in every situation when viewed through the lenses of reality.

1 comment: