Sunday, February 1, 2009

True Principle

This semester I decided to follow the counsel of what I consider to be scripture. On December 27, 1832, Joseph Smith received a revelation from God. Joseph was in Kirtland, Ohio when he received what is known as Doctrine & Covenants Section 88. The 124th verse reads, “…cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.” (D&C 88:124)

I have a testimony of the blessings of this revelation. I know that by retiring and arising early has amazing benefits both spiritual and physical. Last semester in school, I had a very demanding schedule. I was at the beginning of a challenging program and I was working for the first time while concurrently going to school. Staying up too late was my biggest weakness. I watched my clock turn to 1:00 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. more often than not and I wasn’t waking up as early as I would like. I was regularly exhausted, incoherent, and unengaged in my daily activities.

This semester, however, I made it a goal to hit the sack earlier each night and to wake up earlier than before. I have seen monumental dividends from this shift. Not only have I been able to conquer my regular obligations more efficiently but I’ve been able to fit in much more enjoyable activities in my schedule because of this. For example, I’ve been able to begin training for a triathlon this summer with my increased time and energy. Indeed, “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.”

I know that this principal is true. Because I have tested this principle in my life, I know it is true. Through these same means I have come to know that Jesus Christ lives, that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God, and that the Book of Mormon is revelation from God. I invite all to test out these things as well that they may know the truthfulness of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment