Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ragnar Relay



It's the peak of the afternoon sun, 90+ degrees, in beautiful-hilly Maryland, and it's my turn. Troy is coming in strong and he hands off the team wrist band. I steadily gallop away on a nice downhill slope, feeling great! Then, the 1,000 foot climb in under three miles faces me. After barely making it up alive, my team cheers me on. I never felt so much like Jason Bourne before in my life.

At about 2 a.m. it's my turn again. This time, the sun is gone. There is even a little breeze. The coolness invigorates me. We are now in farming country of lower Maryland. The moon is so bright you could get a moon burn. Endless wheat fields and slumbering livestock are exposed in the white glow. It's so peaceful. I am so distracted from all of it that the reality of running in the middle of the night does not sink in.

About twelve hours later, it's my last leg! I'm tired but excited! I start running through a familiar park in Kensington, Maryland. Melting and pretty tired, I turn a bend to see the LDS D.C. Temple and wow!

What a special experience for me. I can't describe it very well except that it touched me. I really feel it was a tender mercy that I got the one stretch of the 200 mile relay race to see the Temple. Wow! It was just one of those special times. I had been to this temple a few times before but it was just really awesome and it motivated me so much. Here is a picture I took on my leg:


So, I'll cut to the chase and let everyone know about what I am talking about. Some new friends over here invited me on this relay race (called the Ragnar Relay) from Cumberland, Maryland to Washington D.C. It's about 200 miles and there are 12 runners per team. Your team runs non-stop starting Friday morning and finishes during the afternoon or evening on Saturday. Each runner gets three legs of 3-11 miles each. So everyone runs a total of about 17 miles. It's a hairy beast and I wasn't really prepared for it but the blessings of youth were on my side :) It was an incredible experience. I think a smaller version would be so much fun to do as a family. It's quite the bonding experience to say the least.



We rented these giant vans and the girls wrote all over them. It's a costume event so teams wore things like tutus, kilts, wings, etc. People there went all out. We were villains and superheros and had on gaudy patches with our respective villain/hero. Who was I, you ask? They gave me Captain America!

Like most, I've always loved the outdoors, seeing new places (especially beautiful places), and trying to be active so this was such a great experience for me. Besides the smelly vans, lack of sleep, and insects, it was amazing! To give you a little taste of how beautiful it was, look at this picture I took on one of my legs:

To top it off, we ended the race right on the National Harbor. I took this just before our anchor runner came in. It was a beautiful evening:

1 comment: